andymccoy

Ecletic Reader

I'll read just about anything that might be interesting and love to learn about new things.

The Fires of Heaven

The Fires of Heaven  - Robert Jordan Less enjoyable than the previous installment, though still exciting. Rand's development is interesting to watch unfold. I believe that the slow development is somewhat realistic as he comes to grips with his power and responsibility. Mat's story line seems a little repetitive at this point. He's wanted to leave and just gamble and carouse since the third book in the series. I find his storyline to be among the most interesting at times, but it will be frustrating if all we ever hear is whining about how he'd like to find a woman and a dice game. I'm not sure what is up with the author's perspective, but he certainly is doing almost everything he can to make the female leads insufferable. Conflict without context between all the women. Insane arrogance and self-righteousness. I hope that he can make the women relatable instead of framing them as a bunch of nagging shrews who help out when needed. They have so many positives but they keep being used for cheap interpersonal conflict. I am starting to feel like the series itself could probably have cut a few books out if they trimmed the repetitive story lines concerning Mat's whining and the Nyneave-Elayne-Egwene huff fest.